Teaching and Learning Support Assistant – Job Description
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under direct instruction of teaching/senior staff:
- Work with the teacher to establish and maintain an appropriate learning environment. Prepare and routinely maintain classroom materials/resources/displays, assist pupils in their use, clear afterwards and display pupils’ work.
- Support and supervise pupils in lessons in relation to local and national learning strategies e.g. literacy, numeracy and key stage 1/2 tasks and using basic ICT to promote learning.
- Encourage pupil interaction and engagement with teacher led activities.
- Support the teacher in managing behaviour, report difficulties as appropriate.
- Assist with the supervision of pupils out of lesson times and accompany school trips and other out of school activities with the teacher as required.
- Provide for the pupils welfare/personal care both individually and in groups and ensure their safety.
- Meet physical needs of pupils as required whilst encouraging independence:
- Promote inclusion, act as a role model, show awareness of individual needs and respond to them.
- Be aware of pupil problems and achievements and report to teacher as appropriate.
- Undertake pupil record keeping, gather and report information from and to parents/carers as required.
- Provide clerical and administrative support e.g. photocopying, typing, filing, collecting money etc.
- Comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety, welfare, security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting any concerns to the appropriate person.
- Actively support the school’s and Borough’s equal opportunity policies and ensure that all pupils have an equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- Contribute to the overall aims and targets of the school, appreciate and support the roles of other members of the school work team and attend relevant meetings as required.
- Be aware of and take part in the school’s performance management framework and participate in training and development activities as required.
- Undertake any other similar duties as required.
The school is committed to safeguarding children and young people. All postholders are subject to a satisfactory enhanced Criminal Records Bureau disclosure.
All disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be invited to interview